Positively supporting children and young people with self-harming behaviours and other emotional and mental health needs.
To support better mental health for all, and more specifically the mental health of children and young people and their families, NESSie is funded by Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council to support families of children and young people with emotional and mental health needs, including those who self-harm. This is particularly pertinent as there has been increasing concern about children and young people’s (CYP) mental health as a result of the pandemic and local intelligence highlights a growing incidence of self-harming behaviours in our CYP across the county.
Access to specialist CYP Mental Health services can be challenging, with some young people waiting a considerable length of time to get the in-person support they need. NESSie also recognises that the impact of self-harm ripples across families, friendship groups and communities, therefore these services adopt a holistic approach to raising awareness, addressing stigma and supporting young people and their families in managing their coping mechanisms and response to poor mental health.
Areas of support includes, but are not limited to:
- Bereavement and Loss (including divorce and separation)
- LGBTQ+ and Gender Questioning
- School Avoidance
- Management of meltdowns
The NESSie offer for schools and community settings in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
Nessie’s staff ( all qualified therapists and teachers who have extensive experience in supporting parents) can provide parent forums face to face within the school/community setting or online. These informal and FREE 90 minute workshops are targeted at parents/carers currently supporting young people who are displaying self-harming behaviours and include time for questions and discussion.
For more information or to book a workshop at your setting, please complete this FORM
The NESSie offer for parents and carers in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough consists of the following:
- Free online and face-to-face workshops
- Parent Support line for parents/carers of young people with self-harming behaviours: 07932 651319 (open Wednesdays 9 am – 12 pm or by appointment)
- Private moderated Facebook support groups:
- Cambridge support group for parents of children/young people that self-harm or
- Nessie parent/carer support group for other emotional and mental health needs
- 1-1 targeted support sessions for complex parental or family needs
- Peer support groups
- ‘Drop In And Chat Coffee Mornings’ – an opportunity to talk about everything and anything
For more information, please complete this FORM
To view the range of workshops that can be accessed for FREE, click HERE
NESSie operates in line with I-Thrive and works in conjunction with the Healthy Schools Service, Emotional Health and Wellbeing Service (EHWBS) and the local Mental Health Support Teams (MHST’s) to support a countywide commitment to improving the mental health of children and young people
For more information contact:
Rachel Lambie CEO [email protected]