The Kick Ash Programme
The Kick Ash Programme is a student led smoking prevention programme. It is based on a framework of peer mentorship and it is delivered in line with current NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) best practice guidance. The Mentor training is best suited to students in Years 8 or 9 but can be delivered in accordance with the needs of the school.
The Programme Aims are:-
• To reduce smoking levels between the ages of 13 and 15
• To encourage all young people to be proud to be smoke free/vape free.
• To discourage children and young people from starting to smoke/vape.
• To support those who want to quit smoking through the provision of a youth friendly stop smoking service.
Would your school benefit from Kick Ash? Check here
The Mentor workshop encourages students to:
• Analyse and investigate the different motivations young people have for starting smoking/vaping and taking risks with their health.
• Use the local smoking behaviour data from the most recent Young People’s Health Related Survey to identify the lifestyles and attitudes of young people who choose to smoke.
• Examine the facts about e-cigarettes – who would vape and why.
• Find out about age-restricted products as well as the measures in place to prevent under-age sales.
• Explore the support available locally for those who have started smoking and wish to stop.
BENEFITS FOR STUDENTS
Becoming a Peer Mentor will give the students:-
• life skills in leadership and team work
• increased confidence and self-esteem
• a sense of responsibility within school and in the community
• the ability to influence peers and family members/friends to stop smoking/vaping
• the encouragement to be a positive role model for younger students
It will also provide the opportunity to fulfil a number of requirements for a Youth Awards scheme linked to the Cadets or The Duke of Edinburgh Award.
QUOTES from Previous Peer Mentors
“I IMPROVED MY CONFIDENCE WHEN
TALKING TO NEW PEOPLE.”
“MY KICK ASH WORK LOOKS REALLY GOOD
ON MY COLLEGE APPLICATION.”
“I REALLY ENJOYED TALKING TO YOUNGER PEOPLE
ABOUT BEING PROUD TO BE SMOKE FREE.”
“I REALLY ENJOYED DEVELOPING MY LEADERSHIP
SKILLS. IT GAVE ME CONFIDENCE TO APPLY
FOR A LEADERSHIP ROLE IN SCHOOL.”
“I REALLY ENJOYED ACCEPTING NEW CHALLENGES. I
SURPRISED MYSELF BY LEARNING NEW SKILLS.”
“I USED MY HOURS VOLUNTEERING FOR KICK ASH
TOWARDS MY DUKE OF EDINBURGH BRONZE AWARD.”
Kick Ash for Primary Schools
Whilst the delivery of the Kick Ash workshop for Year 6 students is an integral part of the Peer Mentor programme, primary schools that do not feed in to one of the participating secondary schools can request this to be delivered independently if they accept to:
• Undertake a simple preparatory draw and write exercise with Year 6 pupils to gauge the awareness they have of teenage and older smokers and non-smokers.
• Dedicate a 90 minute session for each Year 6 class, led by Kick Ash mentors with support from the Healthy Schools team if required.
• Conduct a follow up exercise/evaluation for pupils and staff
The content of the primary Kick Ashworkshop encourages the students to:
• Explore their ideas of smokers and non-smokers in regard to both physical and behavioural traits.
• Investigate the concept of “peer pressure” as well as “peer influence” in relation to friendship groups.
• Identify reasons for why young people may choose to smoke when they know the associated health risks.
• Identify reasons for why young people who start smoking decide to stop.
• Provide opportunities for reflection in regard to personal pulls towards and pushes away from smoking.
IN SUMMARY: SO WHY KICK ASH?
Unlike traditional youth smoking prevention programmes that focus on information giving, Kick Ash adopts a multi-faceted approach to addressing the complex range of individual, social and environmental factors that determine smoking decisions.
It also recognises that peers exert a significant influence on the attitudes towards smoking and similar risk taking behaviours.
Click here to ask any questions or to arrange a meeting to discuss delivery options.Kick Ash Mentor Job Description 2020 Kick Ash Smoke Free/Vape Free Policy