As you will be aware, Marcus and the Child Food Poverty Taskforce have been campaigning throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, calling on the Government to implement 3 recommendations from the National Food Strategy. The recommendations are to expand free school meals to under-16s where a parent or guardian is in receipt of Universal Credit or equivalent benefit, provide meals & activities during all holidays and to increase the value of Healthy Start vouchers to at least £4.25 per week, and expand the scheme.
Marcus Rashford and The Child Food Poverty Taskforce have launched a new national website this week to combat food insecurity.
Check out the new website here:
Check out and sign his petition to find out more about the recommendations and the progress that has been made so far: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/554276/
Winter will continue be a difficult time for many families across the UK.
– Demand for food banks this winter is predicted to be 61% higher than last year.
– 2.3 million children experienced food insecurity between March and August 2020.
– Before Covid-19, 4.2 million children were living in poverty in the UK. That is 9 in every classroom of 30.
Here is how you can help this winter!
- If you, or anyone you know is struggling to feed their family over winter you can use the interactive map on the #endchildfoodpoverty website to find emergency food support in your local area.
- Alternatively, if you are a local authority, charity, food bank or other business you can register your services, so you appear on the map. You can also find out how you can donate or volunteer.
- Share this post to help spread the word and let families know there is support available.